*Discount fares available for seniors, youth and passengers with disabilities using a valid Clipper discount card. All fares listed are one-way fares.
For information on refunds due to impacts from the COVID-19 situation, click here.
How to Pay Your SMART Fares
- Pay fares with Clipper®: Adult Clipper cards and fares can be purchased at SMART stations through the fare vending machine. An instructional video on how to use the fare vending machine is available: here. Adult and discount Clipper cards can be obtained online at clippercard.com; SMART's office at 5401 Old Redwood Highway, Suite 200, Petaluma; or at other participating transit agency ticket offices.
- SMART eTickets app: The mobile ticketing app is available for download in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. See our Mobile App FAQs for additional information.
- No cash payment accepted on the train.
SMART uses Clipper, the Bay Area’s all-in-one transit card, for payment. You can use the following types of value on Clipper to ride SMART:
- Cash value – accepted on all participating Clipper transit agencies.
- SMART 31-day pass – good for unlimited rides on SMART for 31 consecutive days from the date of first use. Pricing information is below.
Clipper is also accepted on Golden Gate Transit, Marin Transit, Petaluma Transit, Santa Rosa CityBus and Sonoma County Transit, as well as all other Bay Area transit agencies.
Get a Card: You can get an adult card at any SMART fare machine, online at clippercard.com, or at participating transit agency ticket offices and retailers.
Youth (5-18), seniors (65 and over) and passengers with disabilities can apply for a Clipper discount card to receive a 50 percent discount on standard fares and the SMART 31-Day Pass. Visit clippercard.com/discounts for information on how to apply for a discount card.
Add Value: Add cash value or a 31-day pass to an adult, youth, senior or RTC Clipper card at any fare machine at SMART stations, online at clippercard.com, or at participating transit agency ticket offices and retailers.
Transfer Discounts: SMART passengers who pay with Clipper receive a $1.50 discount ($0.75 for youth, seniors and passengers with disabilities) when transferring to Golden Gate Transit, Marin Transit, Petaluma Transit, Santa Rosa CityBus or Sonoma County Transit. The same discount applies when you transfer from one of these public transit providers to SMART and pay with cash value. Transfers are not available with the SMART mobile app.
$12 Sail & Rail Combo Ticket
- Weekdays southbound departing Larkspur by ferry any time after 8:20 AM
- Weekdays northbound departing San Francisco any time before 3:30 PM
For riders who do not need to transfer, but wish to purchase tickets for multiple riders, or might not have a Clipper card, we recommend the use of SMART’s eTickets App. The mobile ticketing application is available on the majority of iOS or Android devices and requires the use of a credit card and an email address for receipt delivery. 31-day passes are currently unavailable on the Mobile App. See our Mobile App FAQs for additional information.
SMART offers a 31-Day Pass for unlimited rides for 31-consecutive days from the date of first use. The 31-Day Pass is available through Clipper and is an excellent option for frequent riders like commuters.
|Pass Type||31-Day Pass Price|
|Discount (seniors, youth, and passengers with disabilities)||$100|
SMART’s Eco Passes are unlimited, flat rate passes available only to employers, colleges or institutions to load onto Clipper cards for their employees, students, or members. Eco Passes qualify as an employer-sponsored transit benefit, which means employees can use pretax wages to purchase them. Passes are available in four, six, or twelve month increments. To learn more, see our Eco-Pass FAQ page, Eco-Pass Fact Sheet, or email us at info@SonomaMarinTrain.org.
|Number of Passes Purchased||Eco-Pass Monthly Price|
|Up to 50||$213|
|College Students and Veterans’ Groups||$138|
Fares are non-refundable. However, in certain extenuating circumstances, the customer can request a refund review. For fares purchased using Clipper, the Clipper customer service team must be contacted directly at: 877-878-8883 for determination. For fares purchased through the SMART App, complete the SMART Refund Request Form and submit it to SMART by mail, fax, or email. SMART does not offer refunds on the 31-Day Pass or Eco-Pass.