This page will be updated periodically with information about elements of SMART construction activities that may affect local roadways or neighborhoods. Items are added as they are scheduled by SMART’s contractors and are subject to change. Please visit this page frequently.
To report a construction related problem or to ask a question, call our Project Information Hotline: 855-312-7444.
Safety is SMART’s highest priority and we are working hard to maximize safety during our construction phase. Please do your part by following detour instructions and staying clear of all construction equipment and activities.
The only safe and legal place to cross the tracks is at designated railroad crossings. Download our Rail Construction Safety Flyer and share these important safety tips with your entire family!
SMART construction is funded by Measure Q, passed by SMART District voters in 2008, as well as grants from these funding partners:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note: Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions. In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges. General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm. This page is updated weekly.
As part of the ongoing construction project to improve the tracks in preparation for passenger rail service, pre-construction information meetings have been held in a variety of locations along the project corridor in advance of construction. Currently, there are no meetings scheduled. Please stay tuned for future meeting announcements.
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.
- July 30 – Sept 12, 2014 – Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District Sewer Improvements: The Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District will be making sewer line improvements at North San Pedro and at the Las Gallinas pedestrian crossing. Expect lane pedestrian crossing closures.
- Aug 18 – Sept 18, 2014 – City of San Rafael Sewer Relocation: The City of San Rafael is relocating sewer lines at downtown San Rafael between 3rd St. and Mission Ave. Expect street and lane closures on 3rd St. and East Tamalpais St. between 3rd St. and Mission Ave.
- Aug 25 – Sept 9, 2014 – North of East Cotati Crossing: Tree removal and site preparation for construction.
- Sept 2 – 12, 2014 – 3rd & 4th Street, San Rafael – Marin Municipal Water District Work: Waterline relocation
- Sept 2 – 11, 2014 – 3rd & 4th Streets, San Rafael: Low retaining wall construction
- Sept 4 – 10, 2014 – Porto Suello Tunnel to North San Pedro Road, San Rafael: Tree removal and site preparation
- Sept 8 – 12, 2014 – Southeast of Roblar Crossing, Novato: Tree removal and site preparation for construction.
- Sept 11 – 12, 2014 – North San Pedro Road Crossing to 150 feet north of Las Gallinas Pedestrian Crossing, San Rafael: Tree trim, removal and site preparation for construction.
- Sept 11 – 19, 2014 – Paloma Ave to South of Pacheco St., San Rafael: Removal of existing track followed by tree trim and removal and subgrade preparation
- Sept 15 – 17, 2014 – Myrtle Ave. to South End of the Puerto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Tree trim and removal
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the sub-grade up.
- July 23- Sept 11, 2014 – 3rd – 4th Street, San Rafael: Retaining wall construction.
- Late Aug – Sept 7, 2014 – 1,800 ft south of Novato Creek Bridge - Hanna Ranch Rd., Novato – Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction. Retaining wall finishes
- Aug 29 – Sept 3, 2014 – Porto Suello Tunnel to North San Pedro Road, San Rafael: Removal of existing track.
- Sept 1 – Sept 26, 2014 – Hamilton Parkway, Novato to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Earthwork and grading and low retaining wall construction
- Sept 2 – Sept 12, 2014 – Smith Ranch Rd to South of Gallinas Creek Bridge, San Rafael: Removal of existing track
- Sept 4 – 10, 2014 – North San Pedro Road Crossing to 150 north of Las Gallinas Pedestrian Crossing, San Rafael: Removal of existing track
- Sept 15 – Early Oct, 2014 – Roblar Road to Hamilton Parkway, Novato: earthwork, grading, track reconstruction and low retaining wall construction
- Sept 8 – 12, 2014 – South of East Cotati Ave. Crossing, Cotati: Low retaining wall construction.
- Sept 8 – 18, 2014 – Hanna Ranch Rd to North of Digital Drive, Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading, track reconstruction
- Sept 10 – 12, 2014 – North of East Cotati Ave, Cotati: Installation of low retaining walls.
- Sept 15 – 19, 2014 – Porto Suello Tunnel to North San Pedro Road, San Rafael: Earth work to prepare track subgrade
GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.
- Sept 2 – 5, 2014 – 9th Street, Santa Rosa: Median curb construction
- Sept 8 – 10, 2014 – 8 Street, Santa Rosa: Median curb construction
- Sept 11, 2014 – West Robles Ave., Santa Rosa: Median curb construction
- Sept 12, 2014 – Todd Rd., Santa Rosa: Median curb construction
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.
Improvement of existing railroad tunnel structures
- July 21 – Sept 10, 2014 – Porto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Site prep – install work floor surfaces and lights followed by track removal, and tunnel repair
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
- July 10 – Sept 2, 2014 – Novato Creek Bridge, Novato: Replacement of existing bridge. Pile driving Aug 3 – 7, 2014.
- Aug 18 – Sept 7, 2014 – Mark West Creek Bridge, Santa Rosa: Replacement of existing bridge. May include weekend work. (Bridge painting will occur Sept 7 – Oct 3, 2014)
- Aug 25 – Late Sept, 2014 – Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Site prep and removal of trees and existing bridge prior to bridge replacement. Pile driving to occur intermittently throughout September.Will include weekend work.
- Sept 2 – 5, 2014 – Petaluma River Channel Timber Trestle, Petaluma: Repairing existing trestle.
- Sept 5 – Oct 31, 2014 – Gallinas Creek Bridge, San Rafael: Replacement of existing bridge. Will include weekend work. Pile driving Sept 14 – 26, 2014.
- Sept 7 – 17, 2014 – San Antonio Slough, Sonoma County: Rehabilitation of existing bridge
- Sept 14 – 29, 2014 – San Antonio Creek Bridge, Sonoma County: Replacement of existing bridge. Will include weekend work. Pile driving Sept 8 -12, 2014.
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way. In addition, this includes the Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF).
- July – Late Sept – Operations and Maintenance Facility site, Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa: grading, excavating of foundations, underground utilities
- Aug 25 – Sept 12, 2014 – Hannah Ranch to Downtown San Rafael: Installation of conduit.
- Sept 12 – 18, 2014 – Smith Ranch Rd., Silveira Pkwy, Civic Center Dr., San Rafael: Installation of foundations and conduits at crossings.
- Sept 15 – 19, 2014 – D Street, Petaluma to Mira Monte Marina, Sonoma County: Duct bank installation for fiber optic cable and communications systems – within SMART right-of-way.
- Sept 22 – Oct 3, 2014 – 4th St., 5th St., Mission Ave., Pacheco St., Paloma Ave., San Rafael: Installation of foundation and conduits at crossings.