This page will be updated periodically with information about elements of SMART construction activities that may affect local roadways or neighborhoods. Items are added as they are scheduled by SMART’s contractors and are subject to change. Please visit this page frequently.
To report a construction related problem or to ask a question, call our Project Information Hotline: 855-312-7444.
Safety is SMART’s highest priority and we are working hard to maximize safety during our construction phase. Please do your part by following detour instructions and staying clear of all construction equipment and activities.
The only safe and legal place to cross the tracks is at designated railroad crossings. Download our Rail Construction Safety Flyer and share these important safety tips with your entire family!
SMART construction is funded by Measure Q, passed by SMART District voters in 2008, as well as grants from these funding partners:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note: Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions. In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges. General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm. This page is updated weekly.
As part of the ongoing construction project to improve the tracks in preparation for passenger rail service, pre-construction information meetings have been held in a variety of locations along the project corridor in advance of construction. Currently, there are no meetings scheduled. Please stay tuned for future meeting announcements.
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.
- June 2 – Mid July 2014 - Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa: Tree removal and site preparation at the Operations and Maintenance Facility site.
- July 7 – July 11, 2014 – 3rd Street-4th Street, San Rafael: Removal of concrete and asphalt adjacent to Whistlestop (please note that a construction fence will be placed on West Tamalpais Ave.on July 1).
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the sub-grade up.
- June - Early August, 2014 – Steele Ln. to Guerneville Rd., Santa Rosa: Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- June - Late July, 2014 – Airport Blvd. to River Rd.: Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- June 11 – End of July, 2014 – Rowland Way to Hannah Ranch, Novato: Construction of low retaining walls.
- June 16-July 20, 2014 – Mira Monte to Rush Creek., Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading, track reconstruction, and low retaining wall construction. Please note: due to temperature and freight traffic, construction will start at 5:00am on Saturday, June 14, 2014.
- June 26 – Late July, 2014 – Pacheco to 3rd Street, San Rafael: Removal of existing track. Please note that a construction fence will be placed on West Tamalpais Ave.on July 1 and a small office trailer will be set up between 5th Street and Mission Avenue.
- July – Maintenance of Way yard, Fulton: Track construction
- July 7 – Aug 8, 2014 – Hannah Ranch Bridge Approaches, Novato: Retaining wall construction
- July 14 – Aug 1, 2014 – Civic Center Drive to South of North San Pedro Road: Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District sewer installs occurring within SMART right-of-way.
- Late July, 2014 – Early Aug, 2014 – Atherton Ave and San Marin Drive, North Novato – Construction of retaining walls.
- Mid – Late Aug, 2014 – Rowland Ave – Hanna Ranch Rd., Novato – Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- July 21 – July 31, 2014 – Rowland Way to Hannah Ranch, Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- Aug 3 – Mid Aug 2014 – Grant Ave. – Rowland Way, Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading, track reconstruction, and low retaining wall construction.
- Aug 6 – 22, 2014 – South of Civic Center Drive, San Rafael: Construction of retaining walls
GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.
- Aug 7 – 15, 2014 – East Cotati Blvd., Cotati: Installation of second track crossing at East Cotati Blvd.
- July 18, 21, 22, 2014 – Piner Road, Santa Rosa: Lanes reduced to one way traffic while rebuilding the approaches to the grade crossing to improve the ride for autos and bikers. Please note: grade crossing may be rough over the weekend during the break in construction, please observe the posted 35 mph signs.
- July 31 – Aug 15, 2014 – 3rd Street, Barham Ave., Bellevue Ave., Santa Rosa: Median curb construction
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.
Improvement of existing railroad tunnel structures
- July 21 – Aug 1, 2014 – Porto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Site prep
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
- July 16 – July 29, 2014 - Hanna Ranch Slough Bridge, Novato: Replacement of existing bridge.
- June 27-July 7, 2014 – Basalt Creek Bridge, Novato: Improvement of existing bridge.
- July 7 – July 14, 2014 - Miller Creek Bridge, San Rafael: Replacement of existing bridge.
- July 10 – Aug 12, 2014 – Novato Creek Bridge, Novato: Replacement of existing bridge. Pile driving to begin on July 22.
- July 18 – Aug 1, 2014 – Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Tree removal and site preparation, pile driving July 31 and Aug 1.
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way. In addition, this includes the Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF).
- June 13 – Early July, 2014 – Guerneville – D Street: Installation of conduits and foundations
- July 28 – Aug 1, 2014 – Rush Creek, Novato: Relocation of signal house
- Aug 18 – 22, 2014 – Hannah Ranch to Downtown San Rafael: Installation of conduits