This page will be updated periodically with information about elements of SMART construction activities that may affect local roadways or neighborhoods. Items are added as they are scheduled by SMART’s contractors and are subject to change. Please visit this page frequently.
To report a construction related problem or to ask a question, call our Project Information Hotline: 855-312-7444.
Safety is SMART’s highest priority and we are working hard to maximize safety during our construction phase. Please do your part by following detour instructions and staying clear of all construction equipment and activities.
The only safe and legal place to cross the tracks is at designated railroad crossings. Download our Rail Construction Safety Flyer and share these important safety tips with your entire family!
SMART construction is funded by Measure Q, passed by SMART District voters in 2008, as well as grants from these funding partners:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note: Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions. In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges. General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm. This page is updated weekly.
As part of the ongoing construction project to improve the tracks in preparation for passenger rail service, pre-construction information meetings have been held in a variety of locations along the project corridor in advance of construction. Currently, there are no meetings scheduled. Please stay tuned for future meeting announcements.
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.
- Nov 1 – 15, 2014 | Pacheco St. and Paloma Ave.,San Rafael: Gasline relocation work is being done by PG&E beginning on November 2, 2014.
- Nov 10 – Late Dec, 2014 | North Portal of Porto Suello Tunnel to North San Pedro Rd., San Rafael: Groundwork and excavation for retaining wall
- Nov 17 – Dec 5, 2014 | 3rd St. to 4th St., San Rafael: Excavation for stemwall foundation.
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the sub-grade up.
- Oct 13, 2014 – Feb 2015 | 3rd St. to south of Pacheco St., San Rafael: Trim rock slopes at north portal of the Porto Suello Tunnel.
- Nov 14 – 21, 2014 | South and North of East Cotati Ave., Cotati: Finalization of track work
- Nov 14 – 21, 2014 | North and south of Roblar Rd., Novato: Finalization of track work
- Early Dec | Hamilton Parkway, Novato to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Earthwork and grading and low retaining wall construction.
GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.
- Nov 18 – 20, 2014 | Mission Ave., San Rafael: Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed).
- Dec 6 & 7, 2014 | Landfill Access Rd (Redwood Landfill): Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed).
- Nov 18 - Dec 24, 2014 | Roadway medians will be installed to make railroad crossings “quiet zone ready” at the following locations:
- Corona Rd., Petaluma (11-21-14)
- Payran St., Petaluma (after Thanksgiving)
- Smith Ranch Rd., San Rafael (12-16-14)
- Hanna Ranch Rd., San Rafael (12-18-14)
- Olive Ave., Novato (12-23-14)
- Grant Ave., Novato (12-24-14)
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.
Improvement of existing railroad tunnel structures.
- July 21 – Dec, 2014 | Porto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Site prep – install work floor surfaces and lights followed by track removal, and tunnel repair.
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
- Oct 6 – Dec 2014 | Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Foundations, site work, directional boring. (Site work includes: clear and grub, grade mainline.)
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way. In addition, this includes the Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF).
- Oct 10 – Late Dec, 2014 | Mira Monte Marina to Downtown San Rafael: Ductbank installation for fiber optic cable and communications systems – within SMART right-of-way.
- Nov – Jan 2014 | Operations and Maintenance Facility site, Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa: Utilities, site work, paving, track work