This page will be updated periodically with information about elements of SMART construction activities that may affect local roadways or neighborhoods. Items are added as they are scheduled by SMART’s contractors and are subject to change. Please visit this page frequently.
To report a construction related problem or to ask a question, call our Project Information Hotline: 855-312-7444.
Safety is SMART’s highest priority and we are working hard to maximize safety during our construction phase. Please do your part by following detour instructions and staying clear of all construction equipment and activities.
The only safe and legal place to cross the tracks is at designated railroad crossings. Download our Rail Construction Safety Flyer and share these important safety tips with your entire family!
SMART construction is funded by Measure Q, passed by SMART District voters in 2008, as well as grants from these funding partners:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note: Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions. In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges. General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm. This page is updated weekly.
As part of the ongoing construction project to improve the tracks in preparation for passenger rail service, pre-construction information meetings have been held in a variety of locations along the project corridor in advance of construction. Currently, there are no meetings scheduled. Please stay tuned for future meeting announcements.
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.
- Aug 18 – Mid Oct, 2014 – City of San Rafael Sewer Relocation: The City of San Rafael is relocating sewer lines at downtown San Rafael between 3rd St. and Mission Ave. Expect street and lane closures on 3rd St. and East Tamalpais St. between 3rd St. and Mission Ave.
- Oct 6-14, 2014 – Mission Ave., San Rafael – Marin Municipal Water District Work: Waterline relocation.
- Oct 8-24, 2014 – 5th Street, San Rafael – Marin Municipal Water District Work: Waterline relocation.
- Oct 13-24, 2014 – 3rd, 4th, 5th Streets & Mission Ave., San Rafael: Subgrade preparation.
- Oct 13-17, 2014 – Los Robles, Novato: Construct new stairs and retaining wall mobile home park.
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the sub-grade up.
- Oct 10 – Oct 31, 2014 – South and North of East Cotati Ave., Cotati: Earth work, track shift and track construction of Cotati siding.
- Oct 13- 16, 2014 - Gambini to Redwood Landfill: Demo track, grading and track work.
- Oct 9 – 10, 2014 – 4th and 5th Streets., San Rafael: Demo curb and fence.
- Sept 22 – Late Oct, 2014 – Hamilton Parkway, Novato to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Earthwork and grading and low retaining wall construction.
- Sept 15 – Mid Oct, 2014 – Roblar Road to Hamilton Parkway, Novato: Earthwork, grading, track reconstruction and low retaining wall construction.
- Oct 13- 24, 2014 – 4th and 5th Streets., San Rafael: Subgrade and bottom ballast.
- Oct 13- 24, 2014 – 3rd St. to south of Pacheco St., San Rafael: Trim rock slopes at north portal of the Porto Suello Tunnel.
- Oct 20-31, 2014 – Los Robles, Novato: Construct track and Hamilton Siding.
GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.
Improvement of existing railroad tunnel structures.
- July 21 – Oct 31, 2014 – Porto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Site prep – install work floor surfaces and lights followed by track removal, and tunnel repair.
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
- Oct 6-30, 2014 – Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Drill and install concrete piers
- Sept 5 – Oct 31, 2014 – Gallinas Creek Bridge, San Rafael: Replacement of existing bridge. Will include weekend work. Please note that dates for pile driving have changed, the new dates are Sept 29 – Oct 17, 2014.
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way. In addition, this includes the Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF).
- July – Late Oct- Operations and Maintenance Facility site, Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa: Grading, excavating of foundations, underground utilities.
- Oct 10 – 30, 2014 – Mira Monte Marina to Downtown San Rafael: Ductbank installation for fiber optic cable and communications systems – within SMART right-of-way.