This page will be updated periodically with information about elements of SMART construction activities that may affect local roadways or neighborhoods. Items are added as they are scheduled by SMART’s contractors and are subject to change. Please visit this page frequently.
To report a construction related problem or to ask a question, call our Project Information Hotline: 855-312-7444.
Safety is SMART’s highest priority and we are working hard to maximize safety during our construction phase. Please do your part by following detour instructions and staying clear of all construction equipment and activities.
The only safe and legal place to cross the tracks is at designated railroad crossings. Download our Rail Construction Safety Flyer and share these important safety tips with your entire family!
SMART construction is funded by Measure Q, passed by SMART District voters in 2008, as well as grants from these funding partners:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note: Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions. In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges. General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm. This page is updated weekly.
As part of the ongoing construction project to improve the tracks in preparation for passenger rail service, pre-construction information meetings have been held in a variety of locations along the project corridor in advance of construction. Currently, there are no meetings scheduled. Please stay tuned for future meeting announcements.
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.
- Nov – Late April, 2015 | 3rd St. to 4th St., San Rafael: Excavation for stemwall foundation followed by concrete pour
- Early Jan – End of April, 2015 | Porto Suello Tunnel to North San Pedro Rd, San Rafael: Trim rock slopes followed by slope stabilization
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the sub-grade up.
- Oct 13, 2014 – End of July 2015 | 3rd St. to south of Civic Center Dr. , San Rafael: Track reconstruction. PLEASE NOTE: Ballast will be stockpiled until track construction is complete
- Early Dec – Late April, 2015 | Hamilton Station, Novato to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Earthwork and grading and low retaining wall construction followed by track reconstruction
- Dec 28, 2014 – Early April, 2015 | North of Roblar Drive, Novato – Civic Center Drive, San Rafael: Rail sticks transport on SMART Right-of-Way south to Civic Center Drive
- Early to Mid April, 2015 | North of Roblar Rd to Vintage Way, Novato: Track construction
- Feb – Mid April 2015 | Highway 101 Under-crossing near Sheraton to 1500 feet south of D Street, Petaluma: Track removal followed by grading and track reconstruction
- Feb – End of April, 2015 | Hamilton Station to north of Roblar Rd, Novato: Track construction
- Late March to Late April, 2015 | East D St to 1500 feet south of D St, Petaluma: Track removal and reconstruction PLEASE NOTE: March 23 – April 6, 2015 | Southbound Lakeville St. will be reduced to one lane during construction of the segment from East D St to 500 feet south.
- Mid March to Late April, 2015 | Las Gallinas/Walter Place Pedestrian Crossing to Merrydale Road, San Rafael: Track removal, grading, vegetation clearing, tree removal, & track reconstruction.
GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.
- Jan – April, 2015 | Roadway medians will be installed/repaired to make railroad crossings “quiet zone ready” at the following locations:
- Fulton | Hart Lane - March 25 – 27, 2015
- Penngrove | Main Street/Woodward Ave
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.
Improvement of existing railroad tunnel structures.
- Dec 29, 2014 - Late May, 2015 | Porto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Grouting tunnel interior, wall repair and installation of bolts
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
- Dec 29, 2014 - Oct, 2015 | Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Grading around piers and abutments, concrete work and foundations, erect bridge, test bridge systems, cut-over to new bridge, removal of old bridge
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way. In addition, this includes the Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF).
- Oct 10 – Mid April, 2015 | Mira Monte Marina to Downtown San Rafael: Ductbank installation for fiber optic cable and communications systems – within SMART right-of-way.
- Nov, 2014 – June 2015 | Operations and Maintenance Facility site, Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa: Utilities, site work, paving, track work, erect building, mechanical/electrical installation, landscape, fence, painting, placing of modulars