This page will be updated periodically with information about elements of SMART construction activities that may affect local roadways or neighborhoods. Items are added as they are scheduled by SMART’s contractors and are subject to change. Please visit this page frequently.
To report a construction related problem or to ask a question, call our Project Information Hotline: 855-312-7444.
Safety is SMART’s highest priority and we are working hard to maximize safety during our construction phase. Please do your part by following detour instructions and staying clear of all construction equipment and activities.
The only safe and legal place to cross the tracks is at designated railroad crossings. Download our Rail Construction Safety Flyer and share these important safety tips with your entire family!
SMART construction is funded by Measure Q, passed by SMART District voters in 2008, as well as grants from these funding partners:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note: Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions. In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges. General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm. This page is updated weekly.
As part of the ongoing construction project to improve the tracks in preparation for passenger rail service, pre-construction information meetings have been held in a variety of locations along the project corridor in advance of construction. Stay tuned for future meeting announcements.
Pre-Construction Information Meeting, Airport Extension (Guerneville Rd. to Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa). Additional Information
- Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 7:00pm – 8:00pm
- Steele Lane Community Center, 415 Steele Lane, Santa Rosa
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.
- March 31 – May 2014 - Roblar Drive, Novato to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Removal of encroaching brush, trees and vegetation from SMART right-of-way in compliance with federal safety requirements (for construction preparation; additional trees will be removed in a later phase of safety clearances).
- April 14 – 18, 2014: Northern approach to Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Soil testing.
- April 21-25 2014 - Guerneville Rd. to Airport Blvd., Santa Rosa: Removal of encroaching brush, trees and vegetation from SMART right-of-way in compliance with federal safety requirements.
- April – May, 2014 – Petaluma to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Installation of silt fence along various portions of the work area.
- April, 2014 - Mira Monte to Binford Access Rd. , Grant Ave., Novato to Hanna Ranch Rd., Novato: Drainage work, within SMART right-of-way.
- April 23 ,2014: Atherton and Hamilton Stations, Novato: Soil testing.
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the subgrade up.
- April 27, May 4, and May 11 2014: Special Rail Train to move rail stockpile from Caufield Ln. in Petaluma to Airport Blvd. site in Santa Rosa (by rail, within SMART right-of-way.) Please note that dates have changed from the April 10, 2014 News Advisory. Additional information
- Mid-April - Summer 2014, Roblar Drive, Novato, south to Smith Ranch Road, San Rafael: Removal of existing track.
- April 28 – end of May, 2014 – Fulton Rd. to Steele Ln., Santa Rosa: Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.
- April 16-19, 2014 – Grant Ave., Novato – Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed). Additional Information
- April 23-26, 2014 - Olive Ave., Novato – Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed). Additional Information
- April 29 – May 1, 2014 – San Miguel Road, Santa Rosa – Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed).
- May 2-4, 2014 – Steele Lane, Santa Rosa - Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed).
- May 12-15, 2014 – Fulton Road, Santa Rosa – Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed).
- May 9-11, 2014 – River Road, Santa Rosa – Replacement of track at roadway crossing (crossing closed).
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.
- May 2014 – Bellevue Ave. to Hearn Ave., Santa Rosa: Pathway construction, starting at Bellevue Ave.and working north to Hearn Ave. on the east side of the tracks – within SMART right-of-way.
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
- April 2014 – San Jose Creek Bridge, Novato: Replacement of railroad bridge. Pile driving will be occurring on April 9, 10, 11 and 12.
- Late April – mid May 2014 – Fulton Creek Bridge, Santa Rosa: Replacement of railroad bridge. Pile driving will be occurring on April 30 & May 1.
- Mid May 2014 – Piner Creek Bridge, Santa Rosa:Improvement of existing bridge.
- Early to mid May 2014 – Paulin Creek Bridge Santa Rosa: Improvement of existing bridge.
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way.
- April – May 2014 - Santa Rosa to Cotati: Installation of conduits and foundations.
- March 28 – end of April 2014 - Highway 37 Wye in Novato, north to Mira Monte – Rail plow for ductbank installation.
- April 16-22, 2014 – Guerneville Rd to Airport Blvd – Rail plow for ductbank installation.
- April 23-25, 2014 – D St., Petaluma to 101 overpass, south Petaluma: Rail plow for ductbank installation.
Station footings, stemwalls (walls to support station platforms), station platforms and amenities.
- April 10-24, 2014, Hamilton Station Site, Novato: Pouring of concrete and completion of station platform stemwalls.
- April – end of May, 2014 – Cotati Station site – Construction of station platform stemwalls.
- End of May – July 2014 – Airport Blvd. Station site – Construction of station platform stemwalls.