This page will be updated periodically with information about elements of SMART construction activities that may affect local roadways or neighborhoods. Items are added as they are scheduled by SMART’s contractors and are subject to change. Please visit this page frequently.
To report a construction related problem or to ask a question, call our Project Information Hotline: 855-312-7444.
Safety is SMART’s highest priority and we are working hard to maximize safety during our construction phase. Please do your part by following detour instructions and staying clear of all construction equipment and activities.
The only safe and legal place to cross the tracks is at designated railroad crossings. Download our Rail Construction Safety Flyer and share these important safety tips with your entire family!
SMART construction is funded by Measure Q, passed by SMART District voters in 2008, as well as grants from these funding partners:
CURRENTLY SCHEDULED CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES:
Note: Dates and times are current estimates and are subject to change as schedules are subject to weather and permitting conditions. In general, work will occur in specific sections for a few days at a time, with more extended work periods at bridges. General construction hours are between 7am and 7pm. This page is updated weekly.
As part of the ongoing construction project to improve the tracks in preparation for passenger rail service, pre-construction information meetings have been held in a variety of locations along the project corridor in advance of construction. Currently, there are no meetings scheduled. Please stay tuned for future meeting announcements.
Clearing of brush, trees and vegetation to comply with federally-required safety clearances for train operations.
- July 29 – Aug 7 2014 – East Cotati Blvd., Cotati: Preparation for relocation of the chimera redwood tree. On August 7, the tree will be relocated to a site approximately 500 south of it’s current location.This work will require the closure of East Cotati Avenue. Beginning on July 29, propagation cuttings will be taken from the tree. On July 30 – Aug 6, the tree will be prepared for transplant. On Aug 7, a crane will be utilized to relocate the tree to it’s new location.
Please note that after the tree relocation, East Cotati Avenue will remain closed while Stacy and Witbeck/Herzog construct a second set of tracks (see below).
- Aug 1- Aug 6 2014 – Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Preparation for removal of old bridge and installation of new bridge.
- July 30- Aug 8 2014 – Roblar Dr. – Smith Ranch Rd., Novato: Tree removal and site preparation for construction.
Removal of old track, ties and ballast; installation of new steel rail, concrete ties, ballast and track switches, rebuilding from the sub-grade up.
- June - Early August, 2014 – Steele Ln. to Guerneville Rd., Santa Rosa: Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- June - Early August, 2014 – Airport Blvd. to River Rd.: Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- July 23- Early August, 2014 – 3rd – 4th Street, San Rafael: Retaining wall construction.
- July 7 – Aug 6, 2014 – Hannah Ranch Bridge Approaches, Novato: Retaining wall construction.
- July 14 – Aug 1, 2014 – Civic Center Drive to South of North San Pedro Road: Las Gallinas Valley Sanitary District sewer installs occurring within SMART right-of-way.
- Late July, 2014 – Early Aug, 2014 – Atherton Ave and San Marin Drive, North Novato – Construction of retaining walls.
- Mid – Late Aug, 2014 – Rowland Way – Hanna Ranch Rd., Novato – Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- July 21 – July 31, 2014 – Rowland Way to Hannah Ranch, Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading and track reconstruction.
- Aug 3 – Mid Aug 2014 – Grant Ave. – Rowland Way, Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading, track reconstruction, and low retaining wall construction.
- July 23 – July 31 2014 – Rush Creek Place. – Golden Gate Place Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading, track reconstruction, and low retaining wall construction.
- Aug 15- 24 2014 – 1,800 ft south of Novato Creek Bridge – Hanna Ranch Rd., Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading, track reconstruction, and low retaining wall construction.
- Aug 27- Sept. 5 2014 – Novato Creek Bridge – 1,800 ft south of Novato Creek Bridge, Novato: Removal of existing track, followed by grading, track reconstruction, and low retaining wall construction.
GRADE CROSSING UPGRADES
Replacement of local road crossings at the track with concrete panels for improved passage by the walking, driving and biking public.
- Aug 7 – 15, 2014 – East Cotati Blvd., Cotati: Installation of second track crossing at East Cotati Blvd.
- July 31 – Aug 15, 2014 – 3rd Street, Barham Ave., Bellevue Ave., Santa Rosa: Median curb construction
Bicycle/pedestrian Pathway construction, which links segments constructed by SMART with existing segments and other partner projects to create the SMART Pathway System.
Improvement of existing railroad tunnel structures
- July 21 – Aug 1, 2014 – Porto Suello Tunnel, San Rafael: Site prep – install work floor surfaces and lights.
Improvement or replacement of existing railroad bridge structures.
- July 16 – July 29, 2014 - Hanna Ranch Slough Bridge, Novato: Replacement of existing bridge.
- July 10 – Aug 12, 2014 – Novato Creek Bridge, Novato: Replacement of existing bridge. Pile driving to begin on July 22.
- Aug 1 - Aug 15, 2014 – Haystack Bridge, Petaluma: Tree removal and site preparation, pile driving.
Installation of ductbank, conduit, fiber optic and other in-ground elements related to the communications and train control systems, within the SMART right-of-way. In addition, this includes the Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF).
- July 28 – Aug 1, 2014 – Rush Creek – Franklin Pedestrian crossing, Novato: Relocation of signal house and installation conduit.
- Aug 18 – 22, 2014 – Hannah Ranch to Downtown San Rafael: Installation of conduit.
- Aug 7- 18, 2014 – Roblar Dr. – Saint Vincents Dr. : Systems installation at crossings.